In my experience, creating and maintaining a balanced lifestyle is one of the most difficult things to do.
I read enough zen and life management blogs to know it really should be easy - do what you love and what is important to you.
Doing it all?
But what if you're a greedy Gen Y who wants it all?
Perhaps, just perhaps, having
- a stimulating, challenging career;
- health (including a healthy weight) and fitness without gyms, sacrifice or monotony;
- quality and quantity time with food, wine and the people I love;
- a conscious, sustainable, environmentally friendly lifestyle;
- being a domestic goddess (or something remotely resembling that); and
- contributing to society in a positive way;
all at once, really is impossible?
Life balance in 140 characters or less
I asked some of my friends on twitter to tell me how they created and maintained life balance. I'd like to share some of those ideas and comments with you.
I don't but I try...
Oddly, it is rather reassuring to see that I'm not the only one struggling with this. Personally I think she's doing a pretty good job of managing her career and living in accordance with her ideals and convictions.
I also got some practical advice from frank_in_oz:
I work my butt off 10 months of the year and have 2 months off for short breaks - hiking, travel, camping. Goal - work 6 mths
This is great advice if you can swing it. My heart leaps at the thought of that much travel. But. What if the 10-month work cram is just too hard, or just not possible? My husband and I are in the stage of our careers where taking this sort of time off work each year is all but impossible.
Balance is the level of compromise you can live with.
Via a tweet from tessgiles who blogs at Anchors and Masts I discovered Magpie Girl's Do Less Campaign. Magpie Girl reminds us that sometimes, it just isn't possible to do it all and we just have to do less. The campaign officially starts tomorrow, Friday 15 May and will be a step-by-step approach to doing less and feel better.
So if you're feeling like the balance just isn't happening, you might want to head over to Magpie Girl's blog to take a look.
Alternatively you could try what has been my strategy to date - try to do everything, over-commit, collapse in a heap and then fail at everything.
Other posts you might be interested in reading
- Feminism really needs to go away and leave me alone for a while There's nothing more empowering than having your apron strings untied from the sink. Unless you get untied from the sink so that you can trot...
- One relationship, two careers – how to cope In my day.. In the good old days, life was better. Men worked and women stayed home, kept the house, looked after the kids and...
- Off the Couch – Fitness for Free It is fair to say that I am not the athletic type. I'd rather walk the whole way to work than run after a bus,...
- Into the Quiet Over the last few months I've been working up to making a major decision. It kept popping its head up and I've largely been suppressing...
- Magic in the Microwave: Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding As a child, I used to beg my mother to make this for us, even when I was more than old enough to make it...